Mark Vance is the Lead Pastor at Cornerstone Church in Ames, Iowa. Previous to this he served as the Director of The Salt Company, the collegiate ministry of Cornerstone Church. Mark’s church is the birth place of the The Salt Network, which is a network of churches that are planting collegiate churches across the Midwest. In this video I talk with Mark about culture and how leaders can create it as well has where strategy plays a role in the process.
- Be a family on mission – love each other, be there for each other.
- Fervency and fun – you care for and can have fun with your ministry team.
- Failure happens, but there is a great reward for risk-taking.
- We’ve been given an identity in Christ, and we don’t have to prove anything anymore, so what’s the worst that we can do?
- Great culture with a poor strategy is probably okay. Toxic soil with incredible seed sowing produces nothing – aim for culture.
- You can’t create a culture that isn’t a reflection of you as a leader.
- Being authentic to who you are is more important than what you inspire to be.
Questions to Consider:
- What is true of you right now? This is the culture you’re creating.
- Write out 5 core values that you know to be true of you? Don’t write out what you want to be true of you, but what is currently true of you.